Administrative Assistant III – 2018
- Department Information
This position is only open to Colorado state residents.
This announcement will remain open until May 24, 2017 or until we have identified an adequate applicant pool, whichever occurs first. As such, applicants are encouraged to submit applications early.
Make a real difference . . .
Do you have a passion and drive to apply your talent to create a better Colorado? Are you looking for a career that provides you with opportunities to improve the world around you? The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) is seeking diverse individuals from all backgrounds to apply for a fantastic position that makes a direct impact on improving the lives of Colorado citizens. Our mission is to protect and improve the health of Colorado’s people and the quality of its environment.
If your goal is to build a career that makes a difference, consider joining the dedicated people of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Our tobacco-free campus offers free parking and is conveniently located near RTD bus lines, the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, Glendale City Set, and the Cherry Creek bike path. In addition to a great location and rewarding, meaningful work, we offer:
- Strong retirement benefits including a choice of the PERA Defined Benefit Plan or the PERA Defined Contribution Plan, plus optional 401K and 457 plans
- Medical and dental health plans
- Paid life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- 10 paid holidays per year plus generous personal time off
- Mentoring program with opportunities for mentors and mentees
- Tuition assistance for college level courses including Masters degree programs
- Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible schedules, and
- A variety of employee resource groups
- Employee wellness programs and facilities
- Internal professional development opportunities on a wide variety of subjects
- Bike to work programs, including access to storage lockers and bike racks
- Distinctive career advancement opportunities throughout the State system
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information, go to: http://www.tgslc.org/borrowers/public-service/
- Description of Job
- The Work Unit:
The purpose of the Office of Health Equity (OHE) is to serve in a coordinating, educating and capacity-building role for state and local public health programs and community-based organizations promoting health equity in Colorado by implementing strategies tailored to address the varying complex causes of health disparities, including the economic, physical, and social environment. The office works collaboratively within the department and with affected stakeholders to set priorities, collect and disseminate data, and align resources within the department and across other state agencies. The mission of the Office of Planning, Partnerships and Improvement (OPPI) is to collaborate and partner across the public health system to maintain and further strengthen statewide infrastructure and capacity. The Office of Planning, Partnerships and Improvement exists to build capacity and improve performance of state and local public health agencies. Office staff members, based in Denver and on the Western Slope, work across the department and with local public health agencies, boards and organizations to foster collaboration and leverage resources.
What You’ll Be Doing:
The purpose of this position is to provide office management and project support to the work of both the Office of Health Equity and the Office of Planning, Partnerships and Improvements. The position has an equal responsibility to both Office Directors and other professional staff toward the successful completion of both Office goals. This position will develop and oversee daily office operations.
- Office Communications: Keeping contact lists up to date, forwarding important system messages in a timely, accurate and understandable format, responding to general office emails and calls with the primary focus on customer service. This position serves as the contact person for the Health Equity Commission.
- Meeting and Event Coordination: Organizing logistics for high level, required meetings, events, trainings and conferences.
- Office Management: Developing, overseeing and evaluating day-to-day office procedures and work processes necessary to meet the goals and requirements of both Offices. Assisting the Directors and professional staff in the design and implementation of systems and processes to manage the multiple internal projects and external local initiatives. Manages the office purchases and travel arrangements while tracking expenditures.
- Project Assistant: Position provides assistance with the design and implementation of systems and processes to manage multiple projects and initiatives. Projects within the Offices vary in size and scope as they will focus on internal processes that span the department and also with partners and Local Public Health Agencies (LPHAs). Internal project assistance includes, but is not limited to assisting with the Health Disparities Grant Program, quality improvement projects, the Health Equity Commission, and with editing and distributing reports.
- Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Three years of full time general clerical experience.
Your resume will not be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications; only the work experience section of your application will be reviewed to determine this. “See Resume” statements on the application will not be accepted. In addition, part-time work will be prorated.
- College or university course work, appropriate to the work assignment, may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
A copy of your transcripts must be submitted at the time of application for substitutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
Preferred Qualifications and Essential Competencies:
The preferred experience, competencies and abilities are highly desirable for this position and will be considered in selecting the successful candidate:
- Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel;
- Ability to learn other software systems quickly;
- Prior experience planning events such as meetings, training, and conferences;
- Strong interpersonal skills, effective communicator, and ability to work as part of a team;
- Competence through lived experience as related to health equity, environmental justice, health systems navigation, and the social determinants of health;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to manage and prioritize work assignments independently;
- Ability and willingness to take initiative to solve problems;
- Flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Proficiency with Google products, including, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Sites;
- One year experience with financial processes such as: bookkeeping, budget management, or corporate credit card management.
- Supplemental Information
- Applicant Checklist: The following must be submitted by the application deadline.
- A completed State of Colorado application submitted online via governmentjobs.com
- A resume is required.
- A cover letter is required that describes how your experience aligns with the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position. Cover letters must be uploaded as an attachment to your governmentjobs.com application. Cover letters will not be accepted after the closing date and time of the announcement.
The Selection Process: Applicants will be notified at each step in the selection process via email. Emails will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the Minimum Qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications proceed to the next step.
- Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
- Part of, or all of, the comparative analysis for this position may be a structured application review, which involves a review of the information you submit in your application materials by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) against the preferred qualifications.
- A top group, up to six candidates, will be invited to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.
Appeal Rights: If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging. Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb. A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
E-Verify: CDPHE uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.